Although spring doesn’t seem to be heating up Harford County yet this year, there’s always the chance for that 80-degree day of Maryland heat. Don’t get caught without your air conditioner. Regular maintenance and system checks are important in the spring, before using the system, and in the fall, after a long, hot summer. They can help your air conditioner be more efficient. Did you know the air conditioner uses more electricity than any other item in your home – up to 70 percent of a summer electric bill?
The most important thing you can do is check the filter on your air conditioner. Make sure it’s clean. Often, a homeowner calls for service and the only thing wrong is a dirty filter. Don’t waste time or money by failing to check your filter. Then, examine the air conditioning unit itself outside the house. Make sure it’s free of debris such as dead leaves, twigs and any other litter from the winter months.
It’s wise to have your system checked by an air conditioning repair professional in Harford County, who should perform all of the following checks:
- Clean the air filters, to enable maximum running efficiency. The filters should be cleaned twice a year.
- Add lubricating oil and inspect all the nuts and bolts for tightness.
- Run the air conditioner to be sure it turns on and off properly and the temperature control is correct.
- Check the amp to see how much the system is drawing electrically.
- Make sure the condensate drain is working properly and is free of any clogs – this will keep the humidity down in your home.
- Clean the coils so they work more efficiently – dirty coils cut down on efficiency.
- Check refrigerant level and adjust as necessary.
- Clean the blower so it’s free of debris and isn’t being overworked.